|Message from our Study Circle CoordinatorWhy Study Circles?Starting a Circle
New! Beyond Religion, new book by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
It is with pleasure and humility that I take on this new role as Study Circle Coordinator for The Dalai Lama Foundation. I will work towards establishing close contacts with existing Study Circles, while seeking to establish new ones.
Through this role I will continue to seek ways through which I can offer selfless service to my fellow human beings and to increase awareness of the many ways we can all be of service to others. I will continue to work with new and existing networks at home and around the world for the propagation of universal ethics, global peace, and interfaith cooperation and social harmony, drawing inspiration and strength from the life, teachings and example of His Holiness The Dalai Lama. As we seek to establish peace and love here on earth, I am confident that our little efforts will witness for us, whatever our cultural and religious tradition, at the evening of our earthly sojourn.
My faith in the project is unshakeable, my commitment is total and sincere and my love selfless and unconditional. No sacrifice can be too much, especially if we are willing, sincere and committed and as long as we keep breathing.
I offer my prayers and best wishes to anyone who would like to participate in this work of exploring ethics and its place in our lives. We may meet in little groups, but together we make a network reaching across the world of people working toward the same goal of a happier and more peaceful world.
As for personal information about me, I am 32 years old and teach Mathematics and Computer Science at Victory International College in Jos, Plateau state in northern Nigeria. I hold a B.S. in Computer Science and an M.S. in Information Technology. I am married to Mrs. Hope Emmanuel Ande and blessed with a boy named Samuel. In terms of religion I practice the Christian faith. I serve as the Bauchi/Plateau states Coordinator for TeachersWithout Borders-Nigeria,
I look forward to meeting, through the magic of email, many of you around the world who are engaged your own journeys of service.
I invite anyone who thinks they might be interested in starting a study circle to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Regards and best wishes,
Emmanuel Ande Ivorgba
Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria
July 27, 2005
A study circle is simply a gathering of friends who come together to learn about a topic and how it can be applied in their lives. The fun comes in creating your own culture, proceeding at your own pace, strengthening your bonds with your study partners, and enjoying your own learning style.
You don’t have to change your life or commit to taking any major action. However, be warned: participation in a study circle may lead to real personal change and inspire you to take action in a new way.
The really wonderful secret about the study circle format is that you don’t need to be an expert to start or lead a group. All it takes to become a source of positive ripples in your world—our shared world—is a sincere wish to do so, and the willingness to act on that wish.
Bon Voyage! Be the Change!
Starting a circle is easy. Look thru the information below, download the study guide, and if you’re interested, you can go ahead and start a circle among your friends, or request further information and advice by contacting the Dalai Lama Foundation’s study circle coordinator at email@example.com.
By working together we can make a difference in our world today and for the world we will leave to our children.
A group of six friends associated with the Dalai Lama Foundation came together in November 2002, and met regularly for a year and a half. Each month we reviewed a chapter of the Dalai Lama’s book Ethics for the New Millennium, and used it as a starting point for an in-depth exploration of ethics in our own lives.
Our experiment proved meaningful for each of us, worthwhile beyond our expectations, and a lot of fun. Its fruit has been this Study Guide for Ethics for the New Millennium.
We offer this study guide to anyone who might want to start such a study circle with their friends or colleagues. Our hope is that it may serve as an inspiration and map as you set out on your own course of discovery in the vast under-explored territory of ethics and peace.
—The Los Altos Study Circle: Marsha Clark, Caryl Gopfert, Tony Hoeber, Karen Jacke, Cornelia Shonkwiler, Deborah Whitman
U. S. A. (alphabetical by state) with coordinator’s name
- Mesa, Arizona: Diana Olander
- Saratoga, California; Linda Hoeber
- Sacramento, California: Michael Halfhill
- Boulder, Colorado: Lys Anzia
- Clearwater, Florida; Frank Tedesco
- Yalaha, Florida: Mark Winwood
- Coeur d’Alene, Idaho; Tracy Morgan
- Indianapolis: Michael Smith (begins May 30 2008)
- Prestonsburg: David I. Lynch (2008)
- Virginia Beach, Virginia; Rowena Finn
International (alphabetical by country and location)
- Montreal, PQ, Canada: Jenny Schaeff
- Bogotá, Columbia: Violeta Rico Tréllez
- Paris (75007): Irma Berry (email)
- Accra, Ghana: Emmanuel Avevor
- Abuja, Federal Capital Territory, Nigeria: Sunday Otajele
- Adikpo, Benue State, Nigeria: Simon Vershima 
- Angwan Akawo, Dadin Kowa, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria: Ezekiel Michael Funsho
- Bauchi, Bauchi State, Nigeria: Mr. Olu Gbenga
- Bayan Gari Study Circle, Bauchi, Bauchi State, Nigeria: Paul Danlami 
- Bukuru Study Circle, Plateau State-Nigeria: Bulus Pam Gyang 
- Calabar, Cross River State, Nigeria: Aniefok Udeme 
- Damaturu Study Circle, Yobe State-Nigeria: Fidelia Martin 
- Dan Anacha, Taraba State, Nigeria: Fanen Apandega
- Giade Study Circle, Bauchi State-Nigeria: Mohammed Sani Abbas 
- Gindin Dorowa, Taraba State, Nigeria: Francis Keta
- Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria; Dr. (Mrs.) Funmilayo Caleb
- Ilorin Study Circle, Kwara State-Nigeria: Ogunmolu Tunde 
- Jalingo, Taraba State, Nigeria; Samuel Gideon
- Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria; African Christian Youths Development Forum; Hope Ande
- Kano Study Circle, Kano State-Nigeria: Azumi Helen Ahmad 
- Katsina- Ala, Benue State-Nigeria: Ephraim Akazua 
- Katsina Study Circle, Katsina State-Nigeria: Badamasi Tijjani 
- Keffi, Nasarawa State, Nigeria: Bulus Yohanna 
- Kuru, Plateau State, Nigeria: Bitrus Mailafia Markus 
- Lagos, Lagos State, Nigeria; Mr. Terzungwe Peter Udi
- Lokoja Study Circle, Kogi State-Nigeria: Ocheku Anthony 
- Maiduguri Study Circle, Borno State-Nigeria: Moses Tukani 
- Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria; Francis Igoh
- Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria: Anthony Asema 
- Mangu, Plateau State, Nigeria: Repnan Samuel 
- Pankshin, Plateau State, Nigeria: Sylvester Pam 
- Port Harcourt, Rivers State, Nigeria; Mr. Joseph Abutu
- Rayfied Study Circle, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria: Vitalis Peter Bature 
- Sabon Gida, Taraba State, Nigeria: Titus Mgbanyi Asen
- Ungwan Baki, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria: Ukachukwu Levi Edward
- Vom, Plateau State, Nigeria: Haruna James Dogo 
- Warri Study Circle, Delta State-Nigeria: Charles Imasuen 
- Yenegoa Study Circle, Bayelsa State-Nigeria: Badmus Timi 
- Yan-trailer Study Circle, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria: Christopher Istifanus Adams 
- Zing Study Circle, Taraba State-Nigeria: Innocent Ogba 
- St. Petersburg, Russia Andre Terentyev
- United Kingdom
- Bristol, U.K. Joanne Watkins, Victoria Appleton and Christopher Monuit
- Santa Cruz, Venezuela Julio César Torres
Student Study Circles (alphabetical by country and location)
- Bauchi Urban College, Bauchi, Bauchi State, Nigeria: Mr. Paul Nwadike
- Dominion Heritage Academy, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria: Joel Akanya
- Federal University of Technology, Yola, Adamawa State, Nigeria: Patrick Agber
- Junucho High School, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria: Mr. Peter Aondosoo
- Mkar Model College, Mkar, Benue State, Nigeria: Terlumun Oshio
- National College, Gboko, Benue State, Nigeria: Charles Ortyom
- NKST Bristow Secondary School, Gboko, Benue State, Nigeria: David Tyolumun
- Padopas Comprehensive College, Makurdi, Benue State, Nigeria: Aondohemba Donald Amen
- Plateau State Polytechnic, Jos Campus, Plateau State, Nigeria: Gujahar Plangnan
- Prime College, Barkin Ladi, Plateau State, Nigeria: Bitrus Bature
- Selidan International College, Barkin Ladi, Plateau State, Nigeria: David Pam
- Unity Comprehensive College, Jos, Plateau State, Nigeria: Ibrahim Adamu
Please make inquiries by email to firstname.lastname@example.org